Friday 16 March 2012

Goodbye Rowan

Warning: Post with lots of Church-y jargon! Please feel free to ask if you don't understand anything and I'll amend the article.

Today, the Archbishop of Canterbury has announced his decision to resign as Archbishop and take up a position as Master of Magdalene College, Cambridge.
( The full article can be found here)

My immediate reaction was shock, then sadness. I know that these days most senior religious leaders - except the Pope - do not die in office, but move on or retire, but to me, Archbishop Rowan Williams feels like a moral pillar in religious and secular society, someone a great many people have depended on, loved and respected. It is with great sadness the Church must wish him well with his journey and his new position. Besides, it's far better to congratulate the Most Reverend Dr Williams whilst he's still alive!

I recently had the privilege of hearing Dr Williams speak at a service for the reconciliation of the United Reformed Church and the Church of England (it was the 350th anniversary of the split, when the dissenters left/were thrown out of the established church). His sermon was engaging, theologically relevant, beautifully crafted, poignant and powerful. The service had a special meaning for me; I was brought up in an interchurch family, Catholic and Anglican, confirmed ecumenically, and these days my 'spiritual home' is URC, so to be there at the healing of these two churches (and we had VERY good seats! :D) was incredibly special. As a representative of the established church, Rowan Williams is conscientious, brave, and intelligent, and unlike so many politicians never abuses others in giving his opinions of judgements. He has worked tirelessly for peace and justice and to resolve both internal conflicts in the Anglican Communion, to mediate between faiths, and to speak on behalf of the oppressed and suffering. As Archbishop of Canterbury, he has earned the respect of sceptics of the faith and world-leaders, without ever abusing his power or discriminating against non-Christians. His wisdom and kindness - who can forget the response to 6 year old Lulu Renton's Letter to God?) are inspirational.

I also have a special respect for Rowan Williams as a poet. I've been frantically searching the internet for his poetry this last half-hour and it is truly beautiful. Some people can do everything! The independant's comment here seems to be typical of the praise for his writing. I recommend, if you're into poetry at all, to search out his poetry. As a poetry geek, I'm thrilled to discover a different writer, especially one that the other poeple on my course may not have heard about and so I can show off about... ;)

If you're reading this, Dr. Williams (if only!), I'd like to wish you the best in your new post, which will suit you down to the ground! The students of Magdalene College are very lucky! I hope you continue standing up for the faith and those who need a champion, and I'd like to thank you for ten years of strong guidance of the Anglican Communion through some trying times. God Bless.

J x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your story...