Tuesday 28 September 2010

The Poetry Society

My first mailing from the poetry society came through today, something I have been anticipating since I joined; I wasn't dissapointed. The mailing included information about loads of competitions you can enter, and reading through, I began to daydream. Visions of myself as a published, acclaimed poet came easily to mind...I wondered vaguely about what I could sumbit, even though I've never shown anyone anything I've written, never been published, and don't even have the courage to post anything on blogspot because I am terrified on plagiarism. Like anyone would want to copy something I've written.
The dream was dashed back to reality in one article. The rather exciting Foyle Young Poets award has 15 winners and 85 commended poets - not too bad. But this year they recieved 20,507 entries. How can so many people be writing poetry. I feel like there is nothing original left in the world; the chances are, someone else has already said it. What chance do I have against that many?

I might risk it and enter some of the upcoming competitions (though they do cost money to enter, sadly!). But I've just taken a does of reality, and the effects might be incurable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your story...